February is National Pie Month. A one-dish meal seemed a great idea for the cold, busy days of February. This recipe hits the spot with protein, some carbs, and veggies all in one dish. Add some crusty bread and a glass of cold milk, and you’ve got a hearty meal.
1 lb. ground beef ¼ tsp. black pepper
½ c. onion (chopped) 2 c. frozen vegetables
1 tsp. vegetable oil 1 12 oz. jar beef gravy
1 clove garlic (pressed) 2 c. instant mashed potatoes
½ tsp. salt ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
½ tsp. dried thyme (optional)
- Brown the ground beef and drain.
- Heat the vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook two to three minutes until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in ground beef.
- Add salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add frozen vegetables (I used mixed veggies) and gravy.
- Bring mixture to a boil; then spoon into baking dish.
- Prepare instant potatoes according to package directions. Add ½ the cheese to the potatoes.
- Pipe the potatoes around the edge of the casserole. (I didn’t have a piping bag, so I put the potatoes into a zip lock bag and snipped the edge off to create a makeshift-piping bag.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Add the rest of the cheese over the casserole once it comes out of the oven.
- Let stand five minutes before serving.