A 30-Day Challenge: Faith



Someone once said, “Every tomorrow has two handles.  We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith.”  Faith means many things to many people.  As a Christian woman, I immediately associate faith with my belief in God, His Son, and the Holy Spirit.  People also associate faith with the trust between husbands and wives – the faith in those to whom we have committed our lives.  We have faith in the world around us – the sun is going to rise each morning and set each evening.  We have faith that spring will come after winter.  We have faith in the tides and faith in the natural order of our earth.  But do we practice faith within ourselves?

Here’s a 30-day challenge for you:  Learn the art of faith.  A new year is upon us and with it, we optimistically create New Year’s resolutions, believing in our abilities to make changes to our personal lives.  For most people, those resolutions are seldom realized.  In fact, only 8% of Americans are successful in keeping their New Year’s resolutions.  I believe that much of the failure in the other 92% boils down to a lack of faith in our personal abilities.  Take a look at the suggestions below and see if you can’t learn to have faith in yourself this year.

  • Believe in yourself and know that whatever changes you are seeking to make, you are worth the effort.
  • Ask a trusted friend to help you stay accountable and to encourage you to believe in your abilities.
  • As my dear friend Lisa says, “Sometimes, we have to be our own biggest cheerleader.”  If you’ve set a goal for yourself, cheer yourself on!  Learn how to self-motivate!
  • Set small, attainable goals so that you don’t overwhelm yourself.
  • With any setback, remember that it’s worth it to believe in yourself.  Pick yourself up, and start again.
  • Believe that the only limitations you have are the ones you create.
  • Start a journal and write in it often, celebrating your achievements.  When you have to acknowledge a failure, include a plan of action to get you back on track.
  • Be positive about your goals.
  • For every win, tell yourself, “I knew I could do it!”

Too often, it’s easier to believe in the reasons we can’t do something rather than having faith in our abilities to change.  Whether your goals include weight loss, a career change, or the courage to walk away from a relationship that brings you down, faith in yourself will always be the first step in attaining your goals.  And if you need a little encouragement to get you started – I have faith in you.  And I believe you’re worth it.


Comments