“If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud.” — Emile Zola
If you asked the younger me what I came into this life to do, I think I would have laughed out loud. Raising a family, working and maintaining my marriage was all consuming. I probably would have said, “I make sure everyone is reasonably well fed, rested, clothed, loved and (at the end of the day) relatively unscathed.” It was a lofty list! And most days, three out of five of those goals were met. I think. Maybe we should ask the kids.
Life is less hectic in this next chapter of our lives, so it’s time we revisited our bucket list. Originally a ‘bucket list’ was a list of things one should do before they ‘kicked the bucket.’ Today it seems to be more of a list of things we will do to enrich our life’s experience. You are the author of this next chapter, let’s fill it with adventures of a lifetime. My fabulous
fifty-ish friends, this is your time to live out loud!
Here are the top 20 experiences every one of us should have on her new and improved bucket list:
- Eat something “outrageous.” If you’re game, try something from the Travel Channel’s Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. But if bugs are not your style, try food from a culture you’ve never experienced.
- Take a selfie with a celebrity, an exotic animal, or a random stranger in an exotic location.
- Push your personal limits – I found myself saying “I couldn’t do that. I don’t like heights.” No sooner had I limited myself than I found myself feeling ‘less than.’ I realized feeling that I was ‘less than’ felt terrible. If you think you can’t, you must! Ride a roller coaster, raft a river or conquer a ropes course – you’ll feel invincible.
- Send up a balloon or paper lantern with a note to the person who finds it. You could write a little bit about yourself, a favorite quote or something inspirational. Or if you’re comfortable with it, you could include your email. Who knows where you might find a pen pal?
- Have a breathtaking moment with the love of your life. Watch the sunset together, go parking where you can star gaze. Park near the airport at night and watch the planes land and take off. Go to the mountains and just breathe.
- Know the joy of the love of an animal. Once you have been loved by a dog, cat, horse or another domestic animal you are never the same.
- Drive a sports car. THIS IS A MUST.
- Travel someplace alone. Give yourself bonus points if you stay a few days, all alone.
- Hike a mountain.
- Grow something from a seed.
- Do something altruistic, just because. You might feed the hungry, help the homeless, or pay for someone else’s groceries (anonymously).
- Love your body!!!
- Learn a new talent or hobby
- Be a part of a family, by birth or by choice. Be connected to people who welcome you “home.”
- Be someone’s “home.”
- Take a class you wouldn’t think to take, like painting, self-defense or auto repair.
- Take a road trip without a plan, i.e., “destination unknown.”
- Really experience 100 sunrises and sunsets and notice how your daily worries drift away.
- Have a slumber party or go on an adventure with your favorite girlfriends. Invite them all, especially if they have never met.
- Fulfill an impossible dream.
Sure it may seem like this is a big list. But this is your next chapter, great adventures await you, and there is no time like the present! Share it with your friends. Like me, you may want to print it and hang it on your refrigerator. We can do this together! I look forward to hearing from all of you as we begin to live out loud!