For the waffle:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, divided into egg whites and yolks
1 2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
For the strawberry sauce:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
1 lb. fresh strawberries (or frozen)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat waffle iron according to your manufacturer’s directions.
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine. In a small bowl, mix egg yolks, milk and butter. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add egg yolks to flour mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased waffle iron, close the lid and let cook for roughly 3 to 5 minutes.
- For the strawberry sauce, combine lemon juice and gelatin; mix to dissolve gelatin. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries and sugar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 8-10 minutes. Add the gelatin mixture and stir to combine. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes more, or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Top waffles with strawberry sauce and dust with powdered sugar (optional).