Right in the heart of Winston-Salem, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery is a local staple. It’s a favorite for families, a great place to meet friends, convenient for a business luncheon, or even a stop-and-go for picking up dinner after a long day at the office. Midtown Cafe and Dessertery is a full-service restaurant that is known for their hospitality, consistent service by long-term staff, and great dining experience – every single time.
The History of Midtown
It started in December 1987. Originally focused on desserts, the restaurant gained a following from the locals who knew The Dessertery was the place to go for a delicious, scratch-made dessert.
Eight years later, founders Scott and Brenda Gerding transitioned the dessertery to a full-service restaurant and cafe and updated the name to Midtown Cafe and Dessertery.
The Midtown name became synonymous with quality food in a comfortable setting, served by friendly people at a great location. All of this serves as the foundation for the famous hospitality that Midtown is known for.
Thirty-some years later, Midtown continues to do what it does best. Breakfast all day. Lunch, dinner, desserts, brunch, and catering.
The Midtown Difference
An important distinction at Midtown Cafe and Dessertery is found in the service. With a staff who represent decades of service with the restaurant, it’s easy to get to know the team because they are invested in the long-haul. Whether it’s a first visit or a 100th visit, you’re treated like a friend by people who sincerely care about what they do every day. They are proud to welcome you to Midtown.
Another important distinction is found in the menu! While guests can expect new, seasonal dishes, they haven’t turned their backs on guest favorites, including Midtown’s famous French Toast or the Midtown Meatloaf. And of course, there is always the dessertery and its Five Flavor Pound Cake – a must have for any sweet tooth!
A New Face to the Business
It’s a new relationship, but one that began years ago. Jeff Cayton worked as a sales representative for Sysco Foodservice. As a primary vendor for Midtown Cafe and Dessertery for 18 years, Jeff got to know Scott and learn the business.
After decades of success, Scott talked to Jeff about becoming a partner at Midtown Cafe and Dessertery. “The timing was perfect,” shared Jeff. “I was looking to leave the corporate world, and I liked and respected the Midtown business model. I knew if I started my own business, I would want to mirror much of what has made Midtown successful. When Scott approached me about becoming a part of it, I jumped at the opportunity!”
Scott’s interest in Jeff is a part of a long-term plan. With 30 years down, Jeff is in a great position to help keep the business going strong for another 30.
“My goal was to stay true to the foundation of the Midtown business model, but adapt it to meet the needs of our customers’ needs and tastes,” said Jeff. “I wanted to expand the way we could serve our customers, and maintain our ‘hospitality first’ focus.”
Growing For the Next Generation
Part of Jeff’s vision for change included two new staff members. Brette Hearn joined the team in 2015 as the Front of House Manager and Marketing Coordinator. “Brette has done an outstanding job developing our social media presence, and expanding our wine and beer selection,” Jeff remarked. “She brings a fresh approach, including seasonal events and great ideas for specials. Our guests have loved the added layer of service and communication that has come from Brette’s presence on the team.”
“We were also thrilled to welcome Dusty Snow as our chef and kitchen manager,” continued Jeff. “Dusty also joined the Midtown team in 2015, and he’s updated the menu to include seasonal dinner options, and has greatly expanded our Midtown Market and catering capabilities.”
“I wish we could list everyone on the team,” said Jeff. “Brette and Dusty are only two of a tremendously talented and committed team who make Midtown special. While a restaurant needs great, quality food, they also need great people. We are so fortunate to have both.”
Some of the Recent Changes
Change is often a good thing, and at Midtown, the positive changes are things old and new customers alike will love and appreciate. Over the last few years, customers have seen additions such as:
- Midtown Market: The Midtown Market makes dinner at home easier than ever. Swing by the restaurant to pick up take-home options in their grab-and-go case.
- Midtown Chicken Pie: Served at both lunch and dinner (and as an option for the Midtown Market), the Midtown Chicken Pie is a wonderful, traditional slice of a southern favorite. Comfort food anytime.
- Seasonal Dinner Menu and Special Dessert Offerings: While Midtown continues to serve dinner favorites, such as the Midtown Meatloaf, Chef Dusty has been busy coming up with seasonal dishes that reflect the time of year and the peak season of ingredients. Plus, specialty desserts mean sweeter surprises to enjoy!
- Catering and Delivery: Midtown has offered catering for years, but they’ve updated and expanded their options to meet their customers’ growing needs, including options such as online ordering and delivery!
- Online Ordering: Your takeout order is a click away with Midtown’s online ordering via their website and Facebook!
- Craft Beer and Wine Menu: Midtown offers a great selection of local craft beers and wines that pair beautifully with the seasonal dinner options on the menu.
- Updated Patio Dining: The popular mermaid statue is lit with vintage Edison bulbs and updated seating. When the weather is pretty, why not dine outdoors?
- Special Events: From Local Night, Beer and Burger Fridays, Live Music, and Girls’ Nights Out, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery puts the fun in dining with special events everyone will enjoy!
Midtown Cafe and Dessertery has been a community favorite for decades, and it’s easy to see why. Their commitment to excellence continues; they’ve never settled for “that’s good enough,” but have always made an effort to put their best foot forward. An inter-generational favorite, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery has solid roots in Winston-Salem – yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Midtown Cafe and Dessertery is located at 151 South Stratford Road in Winston-Salem. Hours of operation are Sunday-Thursday from 7 am – 8:30 pm and Friday-Saturday from 7 am – 9:30 pm. For more information, call 336.724.9800, or visit the website (MidtownCafeWS.com) to check out the menu, sign up for the monthly email or check out the new online ordering. Be sure to follow Midtown Cafe and Dessertery on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.