BY SARA WILES
Fall is here and while pumpkin spice is everything nice, apple cider is my fall favorite. Make this batch as big or as small as you want. It is the perfect way to warm up on a crisp evening. You can even add a little caramel flavored vodka for a yummy adult beverage. Enjoy and stay warm, friends!
10-12 medium apples, assorted varieties
2 oranges, quartered
4 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon whole cloves
16 cups water
½ cup maple syrup
- Add apples and oranges to a large stockpot and cover with water leaving 1 to 2 inches from the top of the pot.
- Heat ingredients over high heat until it reaches a simmer. Reduce to medium-low temperature, cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until apples are completely soft.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, or a cheese cloth, strain all solids pressing them against the strainer to release liquids. Discard the solids.
- Stir in maple syrup to sweeten.
- Serve warm from pot or let come to room temperature and transfer to sealed pitcher and refrigerate for up to 5 days.