If green bean casserole isn’t on your Thanksgiving table, then you are missing out! From Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even Easter this casserole doesn’t miss a holiday in our household. This recipe is not only easy, but KID FRIENDLY, making it a win-win in my book.
Because of this recipe’s simplicity, it is important to use high-quality ingredients. Fresh green beans, as opposed to canned, really provide a fresher taste. Canned green beans are certainly an option, but the fresher, the better. Simply trim off any strings and microwave in water for 5-7 minutes until they are tender.
2 ½ lbs. French green beans, or 6 cans if using canned
2 cans (10.75 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/3 cups fried onions (French’s)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using fresh green beans: trim the ends, put in a microwave-safe dish with a tablespoon of water and cover with a wet paper towel. Microwave for 5-7 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Using canned green beans: Drain well and pay dry, no need to microwave.
- In a large bowl mix the green beans, mushroom soup, cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup of the fried onions, then add to a baking dish.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with the remaining fried onions and cook an additional five minutes before serving.