“It’s not what you have; it’s what you do with what you have.” ~ Kitty Bartholomew
Making the most of the furniture and accessories you already own can give your home a fresh new look. As a professionally trained Interior Redesigner, I can help you achieve a great-looking room without spending a fortune. When you hire me, you are choosing an affordable design alternative. I do not sell anything except my service. My goal is to honor your choices in the best possible way.
Sometimes you may not “have” and a shopping trip is needed. It is then that I do my best to direct you to places where you can achieve the look you desire without blowing your budget. More times than not, once a redesign has been done, my client is happy with what she has and doesn’t have to do further shopping. Husbands are very happy with the results of a redesign because it saves them money.
The phrase, “money is no object,” is only something to fantasize about, unless the Prize Patrol shows up at your door or you win the lottery. An unlimited budget is a rarity and something I have never had an opportunity to work with. Being on a budget is a challenge and the good thing is that it forces me to be creative, whether I am planning a meal or decorating my home or yours. In fact, I do my best work when I rely on creativity instead of cash.
Affordable decorating tips:
– Get rid…. of clutter! By doing this you’ll be able to get a new perspective on your space and your home will look well-kept.
– Wash…. your windows. This will increase the amount of natural light in your room.
– Use…. furniture and accessories, you already own. You get used to seeing your things in the same place; consider using them in a different way by moving them around. Shop your home before you shop the stores.
– Rearrange…. the furniture….float it away from the walls, or turn it on the diagonal. The focal point and traffic flow will dictate the arrangement. Allow 3 to 4 feet for the main walkway.
– Shop… yard sales, consignment or thrift stores. You may find a good deal that only needs cleaning up or refinishing.
– Barter…trade decorating skills with a friend whose painting skills are equal to your sewing skills.
– Paint… for only a few dollars you can completely change the look of a room or a piece of furniture, or you can create a new and unique piece of art.
– Add… throw pillows and afghans. These add punches of color to your décor inexpensively.
– Transform…. a bath with new towels, shower curtain and accessories for under $100.
– Replace…. the cabinet hardware in a kitchen or bath. There are many new styles to help you achieve an updated look. While you are updating, consider replacing the light fixtures.
– Don’t forget…. the lamps. They not only bring light but are great accents and help to set the mood in a room.
– Use…. books as accessories. Placed on a shelf or on a coffee table or used to elevate a lamp or an accessory, books have many uses for your décor.
– Find…. a slipcover for your sofa. This is cheaper than buying a new sofa and if you have small children, it’s a great way to keep your furniture clean.
Have fun and enjoy the process of creating a beautiful home, one room at a time…on a budget!
Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes to see your home in a new light. Whether you are working with what you have or starting from scratch, ReDESIGNS by Ava can help. My consultations are chock full of information you can use right away. The result is easy to live with changes that can jump-start your decorating projects while stretching your decorating dollars.