“One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.”
I have no idea who said this quote but I do know there is truth in it. Actually, when I think about it, I have applied it more than once when doing an Interior Redesign. Items my clients have sent to the attic, garage or basement have found new life when reclaimed or repurposed in a room. I love shopping consignment and thrift stores for me and for my clients. I have found some really good deals on items clients need to complete their decorating projects. I guess I enjoy “the hunt,” but most of all I do love that the consignment stores have a different selection every time I go in, and I love the uniqueness of each item.
Just recently I have been shopping with a client who needs several pieces of furniture for her new home. She plans to buy a few new pieces, but hopefully her budget can be stretched by shopping consignment stores in our area. We were thrilled to find 4 parsons chairs for her dining room for $99. Another client needed items to decorate a metal shelf and I found several small items that worked for a fraction of what the items would have cost if purchased new.
Yes, I have bought “one man’s junk” and it has become a personal treasure in my own home. Actually, I have found some of these items are my favorite pieces.
What to look for:
- Good quality furniture that can be repurposed, reupholstered or refinished. Make sure it has ‘good bones.’ Fine quality furniture is ageless; buying such items is a great investment, both for use and for resale values.
- Unique art pieces that can be hung on the wall. Even consider buying a picture just for the frame and save lots of dollars when using it to frame your own favorite painting.
- Vintage Fabrics….accessorizing with textiles from the past gives your home’s decor an added layer of personality and interest.
- Architectural elements will add interest and character to your home. Usually these have been salvaged from old houses.
- China…..odd plates make great wall art.
- The treasures are endless. Have fun shopping!
A consultation with Ava is chock full of information you can use right away. The result is easy to live with changes that can jump-start your decorating projects while stretching your decorating dollars.
Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes to see your home in a new light, whether you are working with what you have or starting from scratch.