“With a few tips and a little work on your part, your home can look fabulous whether you are dwelling or selling.” ~ Anonymous
Does putting away your holiday decorations make you want to rearrange and de-clutter your home? It puts me in the mood. Having lived in our present home for 15 years now, I need to clear out, clean up, and get rid of clutter. I have said that the only thing good about moving is that it makes you do just that. After a little hard work, I love that feeling of a clean, organized, and de-cluttered home. I would rather not move in order to get that feeling though.
You may not be planning to sell in the New Year, but whether you are dwelling or selling, with a little hard work on your part and a few tips, your home can look fabulous.
- Make a good first impression. The outside of your home is the first thing guest see. Give your front door a fresh coat of paint in a color to complement the brick, siding, and roof. Clean or replace the hardware on your door. Don’t forget the house numbers and porch lights. A new welcome mat and seasonal plants will help say welcome to your guests.
- Clear out, clean up, and get rid of clutter. We all have too much stuff! Don’t get overwhelmed. Do one room at a time. You will feel a sense of relief when you accomplish this task, and your home will look so much better.
- Less is more when it comes to furniture. Look at what you have and consider what pieces are really necessary.
- Have fun with furniture and accessories. Do some “redesigning” on your own. Move things around. Create conversation areas. Shop your home. Think of ways pieces can be used in rooms other than where you would normally place them. It might be fun to give that old dresser a facelift with a fresh coat of paint and new hardware and give it a new home in your foyer or used as a buffet in your dining room.
- Clean windows and open window treatments to let natural light in. You’ll be surprised that something this simple can make your room seem larger.
- Lighting is so important in your room. Whether it is task lighting in your kitchen or bath, or lamps in the other rooms. I say, “Have at least three lamps in a room placed to form a triangle to distribute light around the room.”
- Add splashes of color. A fresh coat of paint gives you more bang for your buck than anything else you can do to give your home a new look. Whether you choose color on your walls or in your accessories, color will give a room new life.
- Hang artwork where it will be pleasing to the eye. Consider the size wall and the furniture it will be hung above and choose art proportionately. To hang art that will be viewed while standing, measure height of piece, find center, measure 60” from center to floor. If it will be viewed while seated, hang approximately 57” from center to floor.
- Accessories are important, but too many add clutter. Choose carefully. A few larger pieces are better than lots of smaller ones. Group in odd numbers varying heights.
- Bring in nature by adding green plants, fresh flowers, etc.
Dwelling or selling? These tips will set you on a course to having a beautiful home.
I am honored that you read my column each month. It is my pleasure to share decorating ideas to help you create a beautiful home. Need help? Give ReDESIGNS by Ava a call to schedule an appointment…..336-345-2929.