As much as I like decorating for fall and Christmas, it always feels good to get our home back in order after the holidays. Hopefully, you have packed and stored away all your seasonal decorating items until next year, but like me, you may feel your house looks stark and uninviting. Once all the holiday décor is taken down, it’s a good time to look around your home and see what is needed to decorate for the winter months.
By the time January rolls around budgets have been stretched and “use what you have” decorating is very appealing. Shopping your home is fast, simple, doesn’t require spending money and will transform a room with not only the things you already own, but things you already like.
To refresh your home after taking down holiday décor:
- Gather remaining holiday décor items and pack away.
- Now it’s time to shop your home. Walk through each room and look for accessories, furniture, rugs, lamps, art, etc. that could possibly be used in another room.
- Think outside the box: a picture frame or framed mirror could become a tray, a pitcher could become a vase, a stack of books can be used to elevate a lamp or other object, a buffet can become a console for a TV or be used in a foyer or behind a sofa for lamps, an ottoman can easily be used as a coffee table or for extra seating, etc.
- Move furniture around and create conversation areas in the room….be sure to pay attention to the focal point in the room and place the largest piece of furniture toward it. (A focal point can be a fireplace, a TV, a beautiful view out a window, or one you’ve created with a piece of art or large piece of furniture).
- As you place accessories back into the room, remember these basic guidelines: Work in odd numbers, pay attention to size, shape, color, and texture.
- Add a few green plants or pick up fresh flowers at the grocery store to add to your décor.These are relatively inexpensive, but just a little bit of nature brought inside will help you survive the winter months….I call them vitamins P and F. ……good for the eye and soothing to the soul.
Need help in refreshing your home after the holiday season? Give ReDESIGNS by Ava a call. Happy New Year! May you know many of God’s blessings in 2019.