ReDESIGNS by Ava
15 Favorite Decorating Tips
“For a house to be successful, the objects in it must communicate with one another, respond and balance one another.” ~ Andre Putman
Every month I begin my article with a quote. The quote is my inspiration for what follows in my article. I collect quotes; not only about decorating but also about ‘life.’ Near my desk is a notebook where I write quotes that speak to me. I treasure that notebook. I also love collecting decorating tips that I can share with you. Tips that will help you create a beautiful home for your family.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Place a bench or chair on the front porch near the door to help create a welcoming entry.
- Purchase furniture that will work in multiple rooms in case you move or your needs change.
- Keep things in proportion when making a floral arrangement. Flowers should be 2 to 2 ½ times as high as the container in which you place them.
- Do not toss an old dated lamp; update it by adding a new shade or repainting the base.
- Use window treatments in patterned or textured fabrics to soften the space and reduce the noise in a room with a lot of hard surfaces, like in a kitchen or dining room.
- Leave the decision for paint colors until the end when planning your decorating project. Gather fabrics, rugs, art, etc. and then decide on wall, trim, and ceiling colors.
- Incorporate special items on your bookcase that have meaning to you and your family.
This helps personalize the space and tell your family’s story.
- Don’t be afraid to mix styles and periods of furniture. To get the perfect combination, keep proportion and balance in mind when you place the furniture pieces in your room.
- Add healthy green plants. They are always a positive addition to any room, adding life and personality to a room.
- Place at least three lamps in a room to create a triangle. This will ensure the light is spread around the room. You can always add more than three.
- Hang a mirror to reflect something beautiful. Be careful that it doesn’t reflect a ceiling fan or another mirror.
- Use a set of white dishes as a very versatile kitchen accessory. Every home should have a set. Use them with white linens and crystal for an elegant dinner party or dressed down with colorful linens and glassware for a casual setting.
- Build a room around a focal point: a fireplace, bookcase, a gorgeous piece of large art, a beautiful view, or the ‘real life’ focal point: the TV.
- Highlight your collections by gathering them together to make a statement rather than spreading them around the house. Seeing a collection together will make a greater impact and be easier for you and your guest to enjoy.
- Add at least one tall element in a room to draw the eye upward to the un-crowded space above.
Enjoy making your house a home where you and your family will find love, be refreshed, and encourage each other.
I am honored that you read my column each month. It is my pleasure to share decorating ideas to help you create a beautiful home. Give ReDESIGNS by Ava a call for an Interior Redesign or help with your next decorating project.