“Decorating is all about the things you do; the colors you choose, the furniture you love, and the accents you choose to finish off your space to get the perfect look you’ve been waiting for.” ~ Lauren Flanagan
Helping my clients make wise decorating choices for their home is an opportunity I don’t take lightly.
Some of the best reasons to give ReDESIGNS by Ava a call are because there are so many choices out there, and most of the time, clients don’t have a clue about where to start. The goal of my business is to help people create a beautiful place where they can come to be loved, refreshed, and encouraged.
Since I don’t sell a product, just my service, I can help them make budget-friendly decisions. So many times, a client just needs help to create a plan and then she takes it from there.
I write this column each month to give you the tools to make wise decisions that will help you to create a beautiful home. Here are a few ‘decorating do’s’ to help you do just that:
- Do choose furniture pieces that fit the space. When shopping for new pieces, don’t forget to bring room measurements with you. And please don’t buy just because it’s a good deal!
- Do hang a mirror where it reflects beauty. Over a fireplace mantle is not always a good place if all the mirror reflects is the ceiling or worse, the ceiling fan.
- Do splurge on a quality piece you really love. You are likely to keep it forever.
- Do pull collections together. Consider editing your collection to help showcase your favorites.
- Do use lamps or floor lamps to cozy up a room. Using at least three lamps in a room placed to form a triangle will help distribute the light around the room. Yes, even do this in a bedroom.
- Do define the use of your space with the placement of furniture in your room. You may need to pull furniture away from the wall to create conversation areas.
- Do use the right size rug for your space. In a conversation area, the rug should extend under both sides of the seating area.
- Under a dining table, the rug should extend 2’ on all sides of the table, and this will allow space to pull the chair out and still be on the rug. Under a bed, the rug should extend 2’ on either side of the bed, go 2/3’s of the way under the bed and extend 3’ to 4’ at the foot of the bed.
- Do hang pictures at the right level. Find the vertical middle of the picture and if the picture will be viewed standing, the middle should be 60” from the floor. If viewing the picture while seated, the middle should be 57” from the floor.
- Do know when to quit.
No need to overdo on furniture and accessories: keep it simple!
ReDESIGNS by Ava would love to help you create a beautiful home….one room at a time. Schedule an appointment this fall and be ready to share your home during the holidays.