It’s kind of weird to write a Rosey’s Review these days since restaurant dining rooms have been closed since mid-March. But here we are. It’s May, and they are still closed, but I’m optimistic that the restaurants will have dine-in services available by the time the June issue comes out. In the meantime, let’s talk about Midtown Cafe & Dessertery! Of all the restaurants to be on my list for this month, this one is perfect. My family and I have been loyal patrons of Midtown for well over 20 years. It’s one of our favorite places to go because there’s something for everyone, the service is always outstanding, and well… breakfast for dinner, of course! Brinner, as it’s known in our family, is one of the best things ever. So to write a review about Midtown is easy peasy! I know them well and love them much!
I’ve been in touch with the owner, Jeff Cayton, throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and like many small, locally owned businesses, Midtown has been adapting to the circumstances. “We’ve found that the present challenge has really awakened our imaginations to the possibilities of what we can offer our customers,” said Jeff. “Our focus has been on offering great features like the Friday Night Seafood Fry and great feed-the-whole-family take home offerings like Moravian-style Chicken Pies, Quiches, and Lasagnas.” Midtown has even upped their game on their successful, long-standing dessert offerings with weekly individual dessert features! They have worked tirelessly to provide for families during the time of quarantine. My family has been one of them, and we’ve ordered takeout on several occasions.
With that in mind, let me share a few things that I’ve tried recently. First, let’s talk about the Asiago Drop Biscuits. These are the carbs you dream about when you are on a diet. My husband actually picked up a box of these as an impulse buy when he stopped to get an order for us, and I was delighted that he did. These biscuits were soft and delicious! A perfect balance with the cheese, so they weren’t too heavy or greasy! YUM!
On the Comfort Classics Menu, I recommend everything. No one says you have to eat all four entrees at one time. You can nibble on them a little at a time. But it’s too hard to choose a favorite, so just go for all of them. No one is going to judge you, least of all me. Let me tell you why…
First, fried chicken lovers, brace yourself for Midtown’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken. Now, THIS is my kind of fried chicken! It’s boneless, and since I have issues with eating bone-in meat (especially things like fried chicken that you typically eat with your hands), I appreciate this attention to detail! It’s also skinless – another win for me because I never eat the skin. I know some of you are starting to wonder why I’m a food reviewer…. I suppose, while I’m in confession mode, I should also tell you that I don’t like sweet iced tea either…. I know, I know – I should hand in my Southerner card, but I promise, I’m a North Carolina native. But getting off that rabbit trail, you can still trust me about this review of Midtown’s fried chicken! This boneless, skinless chicken is still battered, fried, and crispy as well as crazy flavorful and tender! It’s the best part of fried chicken without dealing with greasy skin and worrying about scraping your teeth on the bone.
Hands down, one of my favorite dishes on the Midtown menu is the Midtown Meatloaf. Two thick slices of meatloaf are served with two sides and a delicious vegetable red sauce. What I love about this meatloaf is that it’s not super heavy. And I love that it’s not coated in ketchup (I’m not going down another rabbit trail), but the vegetable red sauce adds a flavor punch that complements everything about the dish.
And Mama Mia! Let’s talk about lasagna! Midtown offers two signature lasagna options, and they are both excellent comfort food choices – the Meat Lasagna and the Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna. Both are hearty, even the vegetarian option! Both lasagnas are packed with flavors and everything you want from a heaping helping of good lasagna!
Right now, on Midtown’s seasonal menu, there are a number of delicious yummies to try, including:
- Herb Grilled Chicken: I’ve had this one, and it’s divine! I wish I could cook chicken the way Midtown does! I love the coconut rice and asparagus that comes with it!
- Slow Roasted Pulled Pork: My husband had a field day with this dish when we ordered recently. It was decadently good! Slow roasted with apple barbecue sauce – so good! It’s served with Midtown’s Mac and Cheese and their Collard Greens, which are beyond delicious. If you’re not a collard greens fan, just trust me on this one. I order them often as a side by themselves! They are fantastic!
- Midtown Chicken Wings: So I’ve already admitted that I don’t like to eat meat on a bone, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like chicken wings! It just takes me longer to eat them because I have to pick the meat off with a fork. Thankfully though, Midtown serves really meaty wings – it makes my job easier! And with a variety of sauces – Mild Apple BBQ, Medium Buffalo, or Spicy Polynesian – there’s something for everyone!
- Grilled Flank Steak: Another seasonal classic – this is a delicious flank steak that is cut in strips, marinated, and grilled to perfection! Served with a chimichurri sauce, it’s a flavorful way to enjoy a beef dish along with classics like mashed potatoes and asparagus! YUM! Midtown also offers this cut of steak as an option for the Ultimate Steak Quesadilla! The steak is served with caramelized onions, peppers, and cheese! Phenomenal!
- Citrus Grilled Mahi: This dish screams summer, and all that’s missing is a tropical breeze. Grilled Mahi is garnished with citrus sauce and pineapple relish and served with coconut rice and asparagus. A healthy option and a delicious one, too! Midtown also has a Mahi Tacos option that speaks to all the taco lovers out there.
- Fish ‘n Chips: Midtown’s Fish ‘n Chips are a favorite for my husband who loves the batter they use on the codfish! Served with fries, it’s a classic!
- The Big Fried Chicken Sandwich: So I haven’t officially tried this one, but I have already raved about Midtown’s fried chicken. I see so many things right about this – fried chicken – yum. Dill pickles – yum. Lettuce, tomato, house-made ranch dressing – yum, yum, and yum! This is a great idea I can’t wait to sample!
If you haven’t already, this is THE time to get on board with the shop small, shop local movement! Our local businesses need us! From restaurants and retail stores – we’ve got to continue to show our support! Be sure to do your part, and when you go to Midtown next time, be sure to let them know that you’re happy to see them opened and let them know that Rosey sent ya!